Friday, October 21, 2016

The Greatest

Louisville is home to Muhammad Ali. Here we visited the center bearing his name. 
Growing up, I can remember seeing him on TV and listening to him talk and talk about being the Heavyweight Champion of the World.  Who hasn't heard:  Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.

I also remember seeing him carry the torch for the Olympics in Atlanta, even though Parkinsons Disease had a strong hold on him by then.

What I didn't remember or maybe I didn't know, was how generous he was. I didn't know he gave so much back to others, especially the sick and the poor or underprivileged.



I also found out there are some amazing quotes attributed to Muhammad Ali.

Here are a few of my favorites.

Connection with another person starts with a gift as small as smile.

Service to others is the rent we pay for our room here on Earth.

I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want.

He who is not courageous enough to take risks, will accomplish  nothing in life.

What you're thinking is what you're becoming.

Of course the educator in me, thought these would be great goals for students. I could see them plastered around my classroom as guides for developing character.

There was another quote painted on the wall that I loved, although I'm not sure if it was attributed to Ali or not. But with all the craziness going on in this country, I thought it was a perfect reminder for everyone.

Respect grows within us. We earn and exchange it with those we meet. Respect thrives in an atmosphere of equality and withers in the presence of discrimination.



Torch he carried for Atlanta Olympics, robe given to Ali by Elvis, other photos from the Center.



Some of my favorite thoughts from the walls of the Muhammad Ali Center.  Good thoughts to live by.

Here is Ali's boyhood home.

Muhammad Ali...the Greatest

No comments:

Post a Comment