Sunday, October 23, 2016

Some Alone Time Fun

What's the saying? When the cat's away, the mice will play...LW flew from Lexington, KY to Omaha for the weekend to attend the services of a childhood friend. So while he is gone, the mouse is gonna have some fun alone. 
I started out with the Kentucky Horse Farm in Lexington. This huge complex has tons to see. First I took the quick trolley tour. The wagon was pulled by 2 beautiful draft horses.



Here are some of the many horses around the park.



I started at the Hall of Champions Show. Here is the list of who I saw at the show.

Western Dreamer-Triple Crown Pacer 1997

Go For Gin-Derby winner 1994 and the second oldest living Derby winner at 23 years old

Won The West- Champion Aged Pacer 2009 and 2010

Funny Cide "the Gutsy Gelding"-Derby winner 2003, Preakness winner (by 10 lengths) 2003, Belmont 3rd place 2003

Then I went to the draft horse meet and greet in the Big Barn. This is Royal, a Percheron. He weighs 1800 lbs and is about 19 hands tall (a little over 6 ft). The groom showed us how they dress a Percheron  by putting a bun and bow in the tail and braiding the mane.

More horses at the park

One of the 2 museums at the park. The other is the International Museum of the Horse.
A few things about Secretariat 

Man o' War memorial
Man o' War was the greatest race horse and leading money winner of his day.

Then I headed for Knoxville,TN. On the way I made 2 stops. First, even though I don't like KFC, I stopped to check out the original restaurant in Corbin, KY. It had a mini museum honoring the Colonel Harland Sanders.

Next I drove to Cumberland Gap National Park, the visitor center and Pinnacle Overlook. With the fall foliage, the view was so beautiful.

Today I'm headed out for more fun. Update ya later.





No comments:

Post a Comment